QuickBooks is a bookkeeping software that combines a variety of accounting processes into one user-friendly system. QuickBooks is one of the fastest growing software for small and medium sized business and offer on-premises accounting applications as well as cloud-based versions that accept business payments, manage and paybills, and payroll functions. QuickBooks software is a great software to assist small and medium sized business running their business smoothly and hasslefree.
In this article we will discuss and look into what is troubleshoot multi-user issues in quick book for Mac and will provide you some guidelines to solve this issue.
Users may get experience this issue while trying to share company file for Mac system users. You may experience this can vary from the workstation not connecting to the server or maybe from the following errors
- Error: Fixing the Connection
- Error: You are not connected to the server
- Error: Specify the Company Data File and theServer.
- Point of Sale is grayed out.
- Error Message: This Application has encountered a problem and needs to close.
- POS Message 181002: The Server Workstation is not running or the company data is not accessible.
Possible reasons for why this problems or issues may occur.
- The IP address used is a dynamic IP
- Any Network connection issues.
- The server is not in multi-user mode.
- Folder permissions and Network sharing are not configured correctly.
- The connection between the server and workstation is being blocked by firewall or some third-party application.
Solutions for fixing issues in multi-user mode of QuickBooks for Mac:
Solution No #1: Confirm that your QuickBooks is working and running and whether company file is shared or not.
- Start by clicking on Go from an Application.
- Double click on the QuickBooks Server icon to start sharing.
- It is required to share file when:
- Select the file or click on Start Sharing button when your file is listed under Not Shared.
- Click on “+(plus)”button in the lower left corner to add your file when your file id not listed.
NOTE: To install and run your QuickBooks Server app, only the host Computer will get the permission to do this step. Also remember this that the company file must be saved on the same computer where the QuickBooks Server app is installed on.
Solution No #2: You should check Firewall Settings in your Mac.
- Now choose the Security and Privacy icon.
- Go to next option Firewall button and click on Firewall option to check the status.
- If you see that the button is grey than simply click on the lock icon to unlock it.
- Now confirm that QuickBooks server app is set to Allow Incoming connection.
Solution No #3: By confirming that file sharing permissions are set correctly on the host computer.
- Start by clicking on the Apple menu on your desktop and then select the SystemPreferences.
- Now click the Sharing icon.
- Now check here whether the File Sharing checkbox is checked or not. If not then tick the checkbox.
- Now in the Shared Folder,where the company file is stored, add that folder.
- To the Shared Folder column, Select the “+” button.
- Then click on Add, by selecting the folder where the company file is located.
- Make sure you have the permission to Read and Write for Everyone or for the specific users who will be using QuickBooks, when you enter in the Users column.
Solution No #4: By confirming that whether Bonjour Service is working on all computers or not.
NOTE: The following instructions are for Mac Networks. The windows multi-user troubleshooting procedures can’t be applied to Mac networks.
- From the New Finder Window, choose your file.
- Make sure that the other computers that are using QuickBooks are clearing seen in the Shared section.
To open file, Bonjour service require following ports.
(56565 TCP, 5297 TCP, 5298 TCP/UDP, and 5353 UDP)
Solution No #5: By Checking and Testing the network configuration.
- You have to unplug the ethernet cable, turn off and reboot your computer if QuickBooks and its Server is already installed in the host computer.
- When reboot is done then open your QuickBooks and try to enable the multi-user mode.
- If the multi-user mode is easily enabled that means that the problem is generated by the network hardware which provides network success of yours.
- Sometimes the hardware blocks the communication between QuickBooks and QuickBooks Server.
Solution No #6: By setting up your peer-to-peer (P2P) directconnection.
- Two computers can be connected together by using a single ethernet cable.
- After logging out both computers, plug each end of the cable into a computer’s ethernet port.
- After starting the computer make sure that Bonjour service is allowed to see both computer to each other. Now verify the new Finder window and check if each computer can see the other in the Sharedsection.
- On whichever computer the QuickBooks Server isinstalled pick that computer as a host.
- Now enable the multi-user mode from a file.
- In the second computer open the QuickBooks from the Shared Files Section.
Here are some Questions to take into account when you are troubleshooting multi-user issues:
- Is the QuickBooks server is running when your computer goes into sleep mode?
This can be change by changing the System Preferences. You can set your computer sleep option to never.
- Is there a change in any of the network setting on your computer or QuickBooks server computer?
Make sure that QuickBooks Server is sharing you company file. You should avoid changing any network settings when the file is shared.
- Is your WIFI signals are weak?
Due to weak WIFI signal your connection to the QuickBooks server may be loose. Make sure to use strong WIFI signal or you can use ethernet connection.
Following the above-mentioned solutions for QuickBooks,users will be able to Troubleshoot Multi-User issues in QuickBooks for Mac. However, if after following these steps the error is still not resolved you need to contact QuickBooks support team by calling the toll-free number. QuickBooks support team which is very expertise in fixing any QuickBooks error is always available to assist you and help you if you need any expert help.