Are you getting payroll error 557 on QuickBooks and do you need to know how to fix it?
Payroll error 557 is a very common issue that users face while using the payroll service on QuickBooks.
There are a couple of reasons why this error occurs, and it is safe to say most users if not all have encountered it while using the payroll service.
When this error occurs, there are ways to go about fixing it yourself without it being too much of a problem. In this guide, we will provide a step-by-step process on how to fix this error and also why the error occurs in the first place.
Why Am I Getting The QuickBooks Error 557?
There are different reasons why you might experience QuickBooks error 557, the major reasons are:
- Company file that is damaged or corrupted
This reason is one of the main causes of the payroll error 557 on QuickBooks. Corrupted or damaged company files can make it impossible to access the payroll service.
- QuickBooks software having issues
If QuickBooks software is having issues, there is a high chance that QuickBooks payroll error 557 might show up. This happens when you have an outdated QuickBooks software or your computer having issues with the software.
- QuickBooks Payroll has incorrect settings
This reason is not so common, but if you do happen to have incorrect settings for your QuickBooks payroll it can cause the error 557 to appear.
If you made the wrong settings when you set up your QuickBooks payroll or changed your payroll settings you would come across this error.
How To Fix Error 557 On QuickBooks?
Now let us take a look at the step-by-step process to fix QuickBooks error 557:
Update your QuickBooks
One of the easiest ways to fix QuickBooks error 557 is by updating your QuickBooks. There are regular updates released by QuickBooks, and these updates make QuickBooks perform more efficiently and it also comes with fixes for bugs.
- Head to the “Help” menu in QuickBooks and choose the option that says “Update QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Then click the “Update Now” option and then choose the particular update you want to download.
- Select the “Get Updates” option which would start the process of download.
- After successfully downloading it, restart your QuickBooks to finish up the process of updating.
Uninstall and Reinstall QuickBooks Payroll
When you uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks, it is like downloading a fresh QuickBooks payroll which has no issues whatsoever, and the setting reverts to default which automatically fixes any issue in that department.
- Go to the “Control Panel” on your computer, then go to the option that says “Programs and Features.
- Among the installed programs, look for the option that says “QuickBooks Payroll”.
- Select the “Uninstall” option to uninstall QuickBooks payroll from your computer.
- After you have successfully uninstalled QuickBooks payroll, you can now reinstall QuickBooks payroll from the official QuickBooks website at https://quickbooks.intuit.com.
- Then follow the prompts and instructions given to finish up the process of reinstallation.
Update service key
Another way you can fix the QuickBooks error 557 is by updating the service key. The error should be gone after updating the service key.
- Head to the “Employees” menu in QuickBooks.
- Then choose the option that says “My Payroll Services”, then select the “Manage Service Key” option.
- Select the “Edit” tab and copy the service key in the “QuickBooks Service Key Window”.
- Select the “Add” tab option and paste the service key.
- Select “Next” and then select “Finish” to complete the update.
- A payroll update message will appear, select “OK”.
- Check to be sure the service status shows “Active”, then click “Next” to finish up the process. Then check to find out if the error has been fixed.
Contact QuickBooks Support
If every process you have tried fails to fix the issue then you have to contact QuickBooks support as the problem is likely to be from QuickBooks end and not yours.
You can contact QuickBooks support by going to QuickBooks official website at https://quickbooks.intuit.com for assistance to fix QuickBooks error 557.
It is very common for users to encounter QuickBooks error 557 when making use of QuickBooks payroll.
When this error occurs, it gets frustrating and affects the usage of QuickBooks for users.
There are a couple of processes to go about to fix this issue and get back to enjoying your transitions on QuickBooks uninterrupted by any further issues whatsoever.
I hope this guide has been able to help you fix QuickBooks error 557 with the step-by-step process listed above to let you enjoy using QuickBooks once again.